Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bonus Valentine's Day Post!

Hi All!

This is going to be a quick post, because you will get another one soon.  I'm not making any promises, but maybe Friday or Saturday.

Anyway, today was Valentine's Day, which, to be honest, is not my favorite holiday.  So much hooplah over something you should show people all the other 364 days of the year.  Am I right?  And don't get me started on the overpriced dinners out (only went out to a restaurant once on Valentine's Day, and I'll never do it again).

So, I was rummaging around in my Valentine's holiday box and found a couple of heart-shaped pancake molds that I bought (probably on sale) at some point in the past.  Let me point out that the only reason I have a Valentine's box of stuff is because I have kids in elementary school.  I buy valentines and such on sale the day after the holiday to stock up on class party stuff.  So I am NOT being inconsistent.  Thanks.  I felt I had to set the record straight.

So, when I saw the pancake molds, I thought I would do pancakes for dinner, since we hadn't done that in a while.  Super fun, right? Wrong. Those molds were a pain in the butt to use.  It probably would have been easier to put the pancake batter in a squirt bottle and just squirt the shape onto the griddle.  Lesson learned.

But, they were still tasty, and I made a strawberry syrup to go with them.  No recipes tonight (otherwise, it will turn into a day-after-Valentine's-Day post), but if you want me to post either the pancake recipe or strawberry syrup recipe, leave a comment, and I do a longer post later.  :-)


2 comments:

  1. Marna! This looks so cute! Yes, post the strawberry syrup recipe. I would love to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, here's the recipe for the strawberry syrup. Ready? Take about 8-10 strawberries (cleaned and diced small) and put them in a small saucepan with 1/8 cup of sugar and 1/8 cup water. Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes (it should start to get thick and syrupy). Take off heat and puree with an immersion blender or regular blender.

    Ta da! That's it! I let it cook while I was making the pancakes. You could also add a little lemon juice, especially if the sauce tastes too sweet.

    ReplyDelete